Monday, June 4, 2007

Whining and Dining - Being a food writer

People often ask what it's like to be a food writer. Actually, they call me a critic, which I am not. Critics, in my opinion, really know food and are qualified to give an educated thumbs up or down. I just know what I like, so I call myself a food reviewer or writer. It's a small distinction to most people, but in the inner circles, it does make a difference.

I really enjoy doing my weekly column because I come from a family of foodies. Almost every communication includes a recipe or a discussion of the latest and greatest restaurant meal or party. The men in my family are not exempt. Everyone knows that in Italian households, it isn't just the women who cook. They may prepare most of the meals, but the men are no slouches when it comes to knowing their way around a stove. My Dad could make an excellent pasta with broccoli and garlic, and my son has created recipes that are better than my own.

My column isn't an exposition about the rarified atmosphere of culinary greatness. I write for people who enjoy cooking, gadgets, nutrition, kitchen design, and decent restaurant meals. That means I write for the rest of us. Even if you can't find the can opener, I believe you can turn out a good meal with some convenience foods, a few basic skills, and the desire to spend 20 or 30 minutes pulling it all together.

Ciao...
Donna

(To read my weekly food column, go to www.santacruzsentinel.com and use Donna Maurillo as the search term.)

No comments: